Hewn out of the tall pines and lowlands of Southern Georgia, which frame its environs, Moody Field, Army Air Forces Pilot School (Advanced 2 Engine), serves as an important cog in the Army Air Forces Eastern Flying Training Command. It is built on the site of the former T. J. Davis plantation, in Lowndes and Lanier counties, about twelve miles from Valdosta, Georgia. The field was named in honor of the late Major George Moody, a graduate of West Point in the class of 1929; who was a member of an acceptance board for twin-engine training aircraft at the time of his death. Ground breaking ceremonies took place in July, 1941, and by April, 1942, the first class of aviation cadets had completed the final phase of their flying training. They have been followed by a steady stream of other graduates who have earned their “wings” and gone out to combat commands. Here at Moody is a vital step in the battle of the skies, an epic long to be remembered by free men everywhere.