Randolph Field was named in memory of Captain William Randolph, Air Corps, a native of Austin, Texas, who lost his life in an airplane accident at Gorman, Texas, in 1928. Randolph Field was completed in 1931 and covers 2300 acres. It is the largest cog in the complex program that will train 30,000 full-fledged military pilots each year for Uncle Sam’s Air Corps. The purpose of the field is to train the young men of America in the principles of military aviation. The entire course of training lasts about seven and a half months and comprises flying, academic and military training. Classes start every five weeks. After successful completion of Basic Training at Randolph Field the class is transferred to advanced flying schools for the “polishing up” process prior to receiving their wings.