Maxwell Field, Alabama, one of the oldest of the Air Forces’ many flying fields, was so named in honor of Second Lieutenant William C. Maxwell, an Alabamian, who met his death in an airplane accident while stationed in the Philippine Islands. The site of Maxwell Field was selected by Mr. Wilbur Wright for a flying school in 1910. Maxwell Field is the headquarters for the Army Air Forces Eastern Flying Training Command. Also located here is the Army Air Forces Preflight School ( Pilot ), where aviation cadets receive training in the school of the soldier and other ground school subjects. Just recently the Liberator Pilot Transition School has been added to Maxwell training facilities.