Camp newspaper – The Reveille
Soon after the 38th Division arrived at Camp Shelby in World War I, the camp was swept by a cyclone, so the 38th became the “Cyclone Division” with its “CY” insignia. Camp Shelby maintained a high health record during the war and won commendation for discipline and efficiency. With the close of the conflict the camp was dismantled and the site acquired by Mississippi for use as a summer camp for its National Guard. With mobilization for World War II Camp Shelby was leased by the War Department and work on the camp started September 1940. A month later the 37th Division of Ohio arrived to occupy temporary quarters. The 38th Division followed. By 1941 the tent city was transformed into the modern hutment type. Approximately 360,000 acres were acquired and maneuver rights obtained on an additional 400,000 acres. The original cost of the camp was in excess of $20,000,000 and at one time 17,000 workmen were employed in its construction. The camp is Mississippi’s second largest city. It has 15 deep artesian wells with a daily capacity of 10,000,000 gallons. It is equipped with two sewage disposal plants and a 60-mile sewerage system. More than 100 miles of hard-surfaced highways and 105 miles of connecting roads traverse the area. Facilities at Camp Shelby are ample for the soldier’s health, training and comfort. The camp is equipped with one of the largest hospitals within the Fourth Service Command. It operates six service clubs, eight moving picture theatres, bowling alleys, more than 60 Post Exchange stores, maintenance and repair shops and refrigeration plants. Through its Induction Station Mississippians are processed into the service. The first post commander of the present camp was Lt. Colonel John N. Robinson, who was promoted full colonel and transferred to command a regiment. He was followed by Colonel Eley P. Denson, now brigadier-general, who was succeeded by Colonel G. M. Halloran, December, 1941, now in command. Colonel Halloran was promoted to brigadier general October, 1 942. Colonel Loren R. Brooks has been post executive officer under all three. Camp Shelby is under the Fourth Service Command. Under General Halloran Camp Shelby functions as an outstanding mobilization-type camp. Men in training apply their talents in a practical and comprehensive program that includes soldiering, landscaping, drainage, conservation and recreation. Engineering units are constructing a dam, lake and much-needed recreational park. Among the thousands who have trained at Camp Shelby are Japanese-American soldiers and colored troops. “Alumni” from the camp are engaged on practically every far-flung battlefront. Insignia on the front cover and the opposite page indicate the units that have trained at Shelby. Serving two World Wars, Camp Shelby has earned a fighting tradition and its men an enviable reputation for discipline and efficiency. Camp Shelbians are of the stuff that fired the spirit of Isaac Shelby, their immortal namesake.