History of Camp Livingston ……. Camp Livingston, one of the largest and most modern of southern Army posts, is located 15 miles northeast of Alexandria, Louisiana. It covers thousands of acres and has facilities for a tremendous number of men to train and live. Actual construction of Livingston was started in December, 1940, it was activated February 10, 1941 and completed March 31, 1941. Like a huge city if includes: large and thoroughly up-to-date hospital, incinerator, laundry, cold storage plant, motor repair shops, sewage disposal plant, utilities, water system, gas and electricity, four fire stations, paved roads, traffic lights and recreational facilities which cover practically every form of sports or relaxation. Thirteen chapels are nestled among the pines of every area. Enlisted men live in hutments, five men to the hut. These are of wood frame construction, affording maximum ventilation and heated by natural gas. Troops are quartered in an area approximately 1,350 acres with the balance reserved for training. In addition, Livingston men practice firing on newly acquired Breezy Hill, a 40,000 acre range several miles north of camp. The camp is situated in the Kisatchie National Forest and is considered an ideal year-round training post. For this reason the camp was constructed with an eye toward permanency. It was named for Robert Livingston, famous ambassador and jurist who was known as the father of the Louisiana purchase. He was sent to France and the court of Napoleon expressly for the purpose of stopping the transfer of the territory from its Spanish owners to the French. Unsuccessful, he did, however, gain the emperor’s favor and arranged the sale of the tract to the United States. For the recreation of troops, Camp Livingston has much to offer. Two service clubs, white and colored, two libraries, four War Department theaters, a large all-purpose Sports Arena, which is perfect for roller skating, dancing, boxing, basketball courts and other team sports which keep the men of Livingston occupied in the brief periods of rest and relaxation during their rugged training schedule. And keeping the personnel informed on everything that goes on inside and outside the camp, is the Camp Livingston Communique, an eight-page newspaper. The “City of Livingston” is complete.