History of Camp Kohler ……. Camp Kohler was established in September 1942 as the third Signal Corps Replacement Training Center to help meet the ever-increasing need for trained specialists to operate and maintain the Army’s vast communications system in a war which already had become global in its proportions. Located twelve miles northeast of Sacramento at the site of the former Japanese collection center, Camp Kohler was named in honor of First Lieutenant Frederick L. Kohler, brilliant young Signal Corps officer from Oakland, Calif., who lost his life in March 1942 while serving with the Chinese military mission of Lieutenant General Joseph W. Stillwell. From a humble beginning, Camp Kohler grew rapidly into a modern military training center, transforming hundreds of newly-inducted men into competent soldiers, equipped mentally and physically to keep open the communications lines of America’s and the United Nations’ far-flung fighting forces. With the acquisition of the University of California Agriculture College campus at Davis, Calif., Camp Kohler became the headquarters for the Western Signal Corps Training Center, embracing both the Western Signal Corps Replacement Training Center at Camp Kohler and the Western Signal Corps School at Davis. In our struggle with the forces of evil, the fluidity and variety of battle-fronts and the world-encircling scope of the conflict place a greater emphasis on fighting the battle of communications than in any other war in history. Thousands of trained specialists – men who can function efficiently and speedily in the heat of combat – are a prerequisite of victory. To this end, Camp Kohler and the Signal Corps are dedicated.