Development of Camp Howze – in all phases of work and training carried on here since activation day, August 17, 1942, Camp Howze has typified the spirit of America in this war. This huge new infantry division training camp is the result of America’s determination to win in the quickest possible manner. Its fighting units have been trained to enter battle with the same “hurry up” attitude. Camp Howze is a temporary cantonment, designed for immediate utility and built in a hurry. But the natural desire of men to have pleasant surroundings is apparent. Everywhere, units have laid neat sidewalks of gravel, and well-tended plots of grass surround orderly rooms and mess halls. Actual construction of the railroad siding, wells, and roads for Camp Howze began in April, 1942. By September, barely more than five months later, the first soldiers moved in to begin their duties while carpenters and electricians continued to work around the clock completing barracks and other buildings. Much of the colorful history of the West was made on ground now covered by barracks or used for artillery ranges here. Where jeeps, half-tracks, and scout cars roll through Black Hollow in the range area, desperadoes once ambushed stage coaches and robbed the passengers. The north reservation along the Red River a year ago was still the country of the Western novels. Now some of that cattle country serves as an artillery shell impact area. Other land gives infantry soldiers excellent maneuver area. The country is a great deal like that in which Major Gen. Robert Lee Howze first saw service. General Howze, for whom the camp is named, was a veteran of two major wars, an Indian campaign, and the Philippine Insurrection. He was twice cited for the Congressional Medal of Honor. Born at Overton, Texas, on August 22, 1864, General Howze died at Columbus, Ohio, September 19, 1926. The same type of rolling plains which gave General Howze his first taste of action now are giving soldiers the basic training they need to defeat their enemies. Over the thousands of acres of Camp Howze, hundreds of men are learning the rugged profession of the modern soldier. Two divisions which served the country in World War I have already made use of the excellent training terrain here. This immense Army Ground Forces training area is directed by the Eighth Service Command with headquarters in Dallas. The Camp Commander is Col. John P. Wheeler. The 1885th Service Unit operates the camp’s headquarters, supply, service, and police sections.