89th Infantry Division
Nickname: Rolling W. Shoulder Patch; A circular patch containing the letter “W,” within a circle, both in black, superimposed on a khaki background. The letter, “W,” when inverted becomes “M” and the two letters stand for Middle West, source of personnel in World War I. The circle indicates speed and stability. Slogan: “Get It Done.” History: Activated: August, 1917, Camp Funston, Kansas, selectees were from Arizona, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico and South Dakota. Overseas: June, 1918. Actions: Lucey sector, St. Mihiel salient, Meuse-Argonne, Army of Occupation. Training: Reactivated: July 15, 1942, Camp Carson, Colorado. Other stations: Camp Butner, South Carolina Maneuvers: Louisiana, Third Army, November, 1943, to June, 1944; Hunter Liggett Military Reservation, III Corps. Overseas: January, 1945 (ETO). Special training in Normandy, February 1-22, 1945. Commanding Generals: Maj. Gen. William H. Gill, July, W42, to Feb., 1943; Maj. Gen. Thomas. D. Finley, February, 1943, to present. Component Units: (As of Jan., 1945): 353rd, 354th and 355th Inf. Infantry Regiments; 340th, 341st, 914th (L) and 563rd (M) FA Battalions. Higher Commands: Third Army and First Army. Awards: The Meritorious Service Unit plaque was awarded to the 405th QM Co., for service February 18, to April 22, 1945. Individual members of the 89th, as of June 13, 1945, had won 57 Silver Stars, 205 Bronze Star Medals, 18 Air Medals, 210 Purple Hearts. Combat Highlights: The 89th spent a relatively brief period in combat, but during that time captured 20,000 Nazi prisoners and advanced 350 miles. The 89th entered combat March 12, 1945, at a point east of Echternach, across the Sauer river. Lashing out at the enemy during their first three days of fighting, line companies of the division advanced approximately 50 miles to the west bank of the Moselle river. On the morning of March 16, they crossed the river to establish a bridgehead which the 11th Armored passed. After clearing an area between the Moselle and the Glan, the 89th moved between Kestert and Kaub to the Rhine bank, crossing to establish a bridgehead March 26th. The division mopped up the wooded area of the “Bingen Bulge” and on April 4, moved NE to launch a drive into Thuringia. Eisenach was the first prize (wrested from SS troops). The 89th advanced rapidly through central Germany to the Zwick-Mulde river. The capture of Zwickau, Apr. 17, ended the advance. The 89th passed to control of the First Army, April 23, and was ordered to hold and control a limiting line SW of Chemnitz.
Showing all 2 results